- 1 Fresno or other red chili, thinly sliced into rings
- 2 tablespoons Sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 12 cups torn Swiss chard leaves (from 2 large bunches)
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Poached eggs (optional)
Combine chili and vinegar in a small bowl.
Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat. Add shallot and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add chard in batches, letting it wilt slightly before adding more, and cook, tossing, until completely wilted, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and season with salt, pepper, and chili vinegar.
Spoon greens over grits and top with a poached egg if using.