- 4 beets, about 1 pound
- 1 blood orange or navel orange, peeled
- 2 tangerines, peeled
- ½ cup fresh ricotta cheese, slightly whipped
- 1½ tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1½ tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper as needed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or white wine vinegar
Preheat the oven to 400°. Wrap the beets individually in foil, sealing them tightly. Roast on the middle shelf for about an hour, or until a small, sharp knife inserted in the center goes in easily. They shouldn’t be mushy, but not hard either. Let cool for five minutes, then remove the peel from the beets. Thinly slice the beets and arrange in the center of a bowl or serving plate.
Peel the orange and tangerines and cut into small one inch pieces. Arrange the citrus around the beets. Place the ricotta in the center of the bowl on top of the beets and sprinkle the dill and chives all over the dish. Season the cheese and beets with salt and pepper.
Drizzle the oil and vinegar on top and serve at room temperature.