- 1 tablespoon shallot, minced (about ½ small)
- 2 teaspoons ginger, minced or grated (about 1-inch piece)
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ cup light olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 medium Delicata squash, halved, seeds scooped out, and cut into ½-inch moons
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup quinoa
- ⅓ cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
- ⅓ cup dried cranberries
- 3 scallions, sliced thinly on the bias
- Handful of torn baby kale or mature kale/romaine lettuce, sliced thinly (optional)
Make the dressing:
In a small bowl, combine the shallot, ginger, vinegar, salt and pepper and let sit for 5 minutes. Add the maple syrup and mustard and whisk to combine. Add the oil in slow stream, whisking constantly to emulsify.
Make the salad:
Preheat the oven to 400°. Toss the squash with olive oil and salt. Roast in the middle of the oven, flipping the squash once and rotating the pan, until the pieces begin to turn golden brown and crisp around the edges, about 10 to 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
Meanwhile, bring 2 cups water and a pinch of salt to boil in a small pot. Add the quinoa, stir, cover, and reduce to a simmer. Cook 12 minutes, until the quinoa is soft and the water is absorbed. Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and transfer to a medium-sized serving bowl.
Add the squash, pistachios, cranberries, scallions, and kale (if using) to the bowl with the cooled quinoa. At least 30 minutes, and up to 2 hours, before serving drizzle ½ cup of dressing over the top and stir to combine. Add more dressing, salt, and/or pepper to taste.