- 1 5-inch piece of dried kombu
- 6 cups water or asparagus broth
- ⅓ cup white or shiro miso
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- 1 pound chopped, cooked asparagus
- 8 ounces soba noodles, cooked separately
- Toasted sesame oil (optional)
Miso Noodle Soup with Asparagus
Gently rinse kombu. Place it in a medium pot with 6 cups water or asparagus stock. Gently simmer for 10 minutes. Don’t let it boil. When the kombu is soft, remove it and bring the water to a boil for just a few minutes.
In a small bowl, combine miso paste together with ¼ cup hot broth and then stir the miso into the pan of broth. Add ginger, garlic, shiitakes and scallions. Gently simmer for about 10 minutes to cook the mushrooms.
In the last few minutes of cooking time, add asparagus. Remove from heat once the asparagus is warmed through. Add the cooked soba noodles. Ladle into bowls. Drizzle sesame oil over each, if using. Serve hot.