- Kosher salt
- 1 pound dried shaped pasta (like ziti or rigatoni)
- Olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon red chili pepper flakes, optional
- 1 pound loose lamb sausage
- 2 cups canned chopped tomatoes in their juices
- 1 cup cooked beans
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
- Fresh, crumbly cheese such as feta or ricotta salada
Place a large pot of salted water over high heat. Cover.
In a large skillet, warm 3 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until soft and slightly golden (1 to 2 minutes). If you want the dish to be on the spicy side, add chili flakes and cook for 30 seconds. Add lamb. Use a wooden spoon to break up the meat, cooking it until browned (3 to 5 minutes). Add tomatoes and simmer, stirring to break up the bigger chunks of tomatoes. Stir in beans.
Drop pasta into the now boiling water. Cook according to package directions less one minute. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the nearly cooked pasta from the pot to the skillet. Also add ½ cup of pasta water to the skillet. Cook the pasta in the sauce for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from the heat, garnish with parsley and cheese. Serve hot.