- 1 pound red fish, Pollock, or other flaky white fish
- 1 lime, cut in wedges
- Chile powder
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup diced melon (musk melon is a favorite)
- ½ cup diced cucumber
- ½ cup diced tomatillo, skinned and husked
- ½ cup diced red onion
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- A stack of fresh corn or flour tortillas
- Queso fresco or crumbled goat cheese
Preheat the grill to medium-high. Squeeze fresh lime wedges over the fish, and season both sides with salt, pepper, and dust with Chile powder. When the grill is at temperature, lightly brush or spray the fish with olive oil. Cook for about 5 minutes on each side. Squeeze remaining lime over fish as it is removed from the grill.
In a medium bowl, stir together the melon, cucumber, tomatillo, red onion, cilantro, and jalapeno with a pinch of salt and a dash of lime juice to taste. The tomatillo brings it’s own tart flavor, so do not go too heavy. Flake the fish into large bite-sized pieces. Serve atop warmed tortillas, generously topped with salsa and crumbled cheese. Best enjoyed with a fresh margarita.