- 3 cans vegetable stock
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 2 ½ cups dry, stone-ground grits
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
Combine stock, cream, salt and pepper in a large, heavy-bottomed pot and bring liquid to a rolling boil over high heat. Slowly whisk in the grits, stirring constantly. Lower heat to medium and continue to stir. Cook until the grits are soft and creamy (about 30 minutes). Take the pot off the heat, stir in butter and cheese. Season with more salt and pepper, if needed. Cool slightly before serving.