- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 1-inch thick slices of day old crusty bread
- ½ cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1½ cups chopped smoked Christmas ham
- 1 teaspoon chopped thyme leaves
- 2 cups half and half
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces grated Comte cheese
Preheat oven to 350°.
Use one tablespoon butter to grease the bottom and sides of a 2-quart baking dish. Line the baking dish with bread slices.
In a skillet over medium high, melt remaining butter. Add shallots and saute for 3 minutes to soften. Remove from heat and add ham and thyme leaves. Stir to combine and then spread mixture over sliced bread.
In a large measuring cup, beat together half and half, eggs, mustard and pepper. Pour mixture over bread. Sprinkle Comte over the top. Bake until custard is set (45-50 minutes). Let dish rest 15-20 minutes before serving.